Ubuntu Install Fail

I was following your instructions to install Ubuntu on my Galaxy Tab SM T520. Got it all up to “bootubuntu”, but then it dies.

root@picassowifi:/sdcard/ubuntu # bootubuntu mknod: /dev/loop1: File exists losetup: /sdcard/ubuntu/ubuntu.img mount: Device or resource busy mount: No such file or directory mount: No such file or directory mount: No such file or directory net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 Setting /etc/resolv.conf to Google Open DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 /system/bin/bootubuntu[22]: can’t create /data/local/ubuntu/etc/resolv.conf: No such file or directory /system/bin/bootubuntu[23]: can’t create /data/local/ubuntu/etc/resolv.conf: No such file or directory Setting localhost on /etc/hosts /system/bin/bootubuntu[25]: can’t create /data/local/ubuntu/etc/hosts: No such file or directory READY TO ROCK AND ROLL BABY! Brought to you by NexusOneHacks"Dot"net and the open source community!

chroot: can’t execute ‘/bin/bash’: No such file or directory

Shutting down Ubuntu failed: No such file or directory failed: No such file or directory failed: No such file or directory failed: Invalid argument losetup: /dev/block/loop1: Device or resource busy 1|root@picassowifi:/sdcard/ubuntu #

I feel like I’m really close. Please advise!

2 Likes

/sdcard/ubuntu/ubuntu.img mount: Device or resource

That says your ubuntu.img file cannot be found so double check that file is in that directory first.

It’s in there. I did a checksum on the zip, and have copied the unzipped results over twice.

Do “ls -l”

in that directory:
root@picassowifi:/sdcard/ubuntu
and post the results. Thx.

OK, so now the tablet appears to be bricking. When I try to start it up, after I enter my PIN, it gives me the message “Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped.” I hit OK, and for about 3 seconds, it will go into the Home screen, and then it goes back to the lock screen. Can’t see the files from my PC. Please help.

OK, so I went in through ADB (still can’t get tablet to stay in the home screen, and got the results of ls -l:
127|root@picassowifi:/sdcard/ubuntu # ls -l
-rwxrwx— root sdcard_r 1182 2020-09-19 16:06 bootubuntu
-rwxrwx— root sdcard_r 102 2020-09-19 16:06 fsrw
-rwxrwx— root sdcard_r 866 2020-09-19 16:06 mountonly
-rwxrwx— root sdcard_r 2147483648 2020-09-19 16:07 ubuntu.img
-rwxrwx— root sdcard_r 913 2020-09-19 16:07 ubuntu.sh
-rwxrwx— root sdcard_r 420 2020-09-19 16:07 unionfs
root@picassowifi:/sdcard/ubuntu #

OK, I did a factory reset. Got back into the tablet. Got Ubuntu to load, although several errors. Right now, it won’t update. Gives me this error:
root@localhost:/# apt-get update
Err http://ports.ubuntu.com karmic Release.gpg
Could not resolve ‘portsubuntucom’ [NOTE: i HAD TO REPLACE DOTS WITH ASTERISKS IN THAT ADDRESS TO POST]
Reading package lists… Done
W: Failed to fetch http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/dists/karmic/Release.gpg Could not resolve ‘portsubuntucom’

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

2 Likes

Give max a little time he will figure it out ok thanks for posting

1 Like

Looks like internet? Are you connected to the internet on the device?

Yes. Internet is fine. I read in another post that it is a problem with where the repository is pointing, but the fix they offered is so long it overruns the space in the command prompt. Idea is to point to the archived repository, since that version is no longer in the current one. I have no idea how to go in and edit whatever is pointing to the wrong repository.

1 Like

Sorry that Ubuntu image I made LONG time ago, probably like 8 or 9 years ago. Hmmm… you might want to work with a newer image. Let me see what I can do.

Those are intended for older Android devices also, there may be much better method to run Linux. Let me research this week and get back to you.

1 Like

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the help. I have run Ubuntu off and on ever since Vista came out, but never tried running over Android before. I’d like to breathe some new life into this tablet, and I think a Linux distro will be just the ticket.

1 Like

But this is chrooted method, you might be better off running Ubuntu natively, I think newer Samsung tablets actually support Linux out of the box, but looking into it.

1 Like

So just wanted to update you on what I found so far. There is Ubuntu Touch GSI image that you can install, please see:

Now, this means you will be able to install on any Android device with Treble support. The only problem is that this came out not too long ago, 3 month ago exactly. The only requirement is that you have to build a kernel from sources and make it work with the particular device you are using.

Now, I have built kernels before but it’s a time-consuming task and probably best left alone to other developers. But I will mess with it a little and see if I can make my own kernel to get it booting.

If you can get this work, you can have a native Ubuntu Touch running on your phone and we will be able to turn every old Android smartphone into a Ubuntu server, which means you can even possibly use them as backup servers, game servers, web servers, and possibilities are endless.

The only drawback with Android OS I see is that it basically forked off Linux and a lot of native Linux features are missing thus makes it less usable for Linux users.

This is another thing I will definitely keep working on but for right now, it might be just best to wait around until developers develop some kernels for various different Android devices.

Anyways, cheers, this is good news.