Rooting Galaxy S9

Hi! I’m following your tutorial (https://highonandroid.com/android-smartphones/how-to-root-galaxy-s9-or-s9-plus-exynos-supersu/) to root my Galaxy S9 but I’m stuck on step 13 where I should wipe the data. The thing is I get message that the system is read only and the wipe was unsuccessful. Updating partition details… Failed to mount ‘/cpefs’ (Read-only file system). Can you please help me what I’m missing here…

Hello, please help me. It is my first time rooting, so I need some guidance.

1 Like

Did you wipe data like in video?

1 Like

Hello, yes I did

1 Like

wipe data again and reboot twrp

1 Like

I tried it 3 times and read only system was all the time there. So I thought what the heck, may be it’s normal behaviour and I continued with the next step till the end. Now the phone can’t boot to the twrp when nor to the OS. Does not go further than Android logo or when charger is attached shows charging logo without % how much is charged. I downloaded factory OS to try to make the phone work again, but at the moment I’m busy with other things so I try something to do later. Will let know of the results :).

1 Like

Are you on Android 9? Sorry the tutorial is for Android 8. I will update the tutorial soon.

1 Like

Yes, I have Android 9 on my phone.

1 Like

Hi again. Is my phone bricked or there is anything I can do to try to make it work again? After following tutorial mentioned above on Android 9 but it was meant for A 8, when starting it there is only Samsung Galaxy S9/ Secured by Knox and it stays there. I can go to Odin downloading menu (Vol down, Pixby, pwr) but will not succeed to load the twrp. On PC Odin tells me it succeeded to upload the files, but phone reboots to download menu if I press those 3 buttons. Plz give me any idea what to do next.

When having major issues like this you can always flash back to stock with Odin and try again flashing custom ROMs. If you want to do that pick your firmware from here. If you need help flashing it let me know.

1 Like

When phone had Norwegian stock, it have to be restored to that one or some other country’s can be used?

I’ve only flashed different carrier firmwares on Samsung phones. I haven’t flashed entire different countries firmwares to a phone before, so I’m not sure what it will do. I’ve read several times that it can be done because really the only major thing you’re changing is the CSC which tells the phone how to handle the difference carrier bandwidth and frequency. It could hurt the way the phone actually works with data. But if you’re flashing a different ROM entirely after getting the phone back working, the CSC becomes way less important as you can change that in custom rooted ROMs.

Ok, I was thinking S9 “one” firmware use as many ROM-s are out there. I will try a different one.

…when download finishes on next century :smile:

Haha I hate slow downloads. If your service doesn’t work correctly you can always flash back to your actual stock firmware. That’s why I love Samsung and Odin.

The reason why I started to root it was I lost 2 yrs of photos when USB connection to the phone stopped working and during warranty covered change the service vendor restored the factory settings. So, somewhere I found out that on rooted phone it is possible to restore pic’s when MiniTool Mobile Recovery for Android has root access to internal memory. And here I am- no photos nor working phone :smiley: but I still have some hope left

1 Like

Yeah recovering lost data can get a bit tricky. But you do definitely still have hope for getting the phone working. There’s pretty much always hope on a Samsung as long as you can enter Download Mode.

Tnx! :metal:

1 Like

No problem at all bud, that’s what I’m here for. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hei. I used link provided by Ludeawakening to download stock ROM, downloaded 2 different ones, but both did not contained AP called file. Even Sammobile says I should have 5 files when extracting downloaded .ZIP, but both contains only 4, AP-s were not among those. Have someone faced the same problem and what was the solution?

1 Like