Need help getting started

Hi, first I would like to say that I am completely new to modding phones and a bit confused why the process seems so elaborate compared to most things done with a PC. After spending weeks reading and watching tutorials and looking through forums I am at a loss of where to start this project and if it’s even possible with the phone I have. Can someone please give me a basic outline of the steps to get from a “stock” phone to the point where a custom ROM can be installed? I don’t want or expect an in depth detailed set of instructions, but it would be nice to know what is required and what is not. The phone I am working with is a T-Mobile model LG V30 H932 currently running Android 7.1.2, Software version H93210d. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

2 Likes

I am pretty sure there is a guide on the highonandroid site even videos ?
where the guy explains how to do it globally check the video and read the tekst on the site for some more specific info about your phone.

anyway just watch the video first and read the tekst after u do that come back to this thread post qeustions u might have this way u wil know a little bit more and we can help clarify some things.

Also welcome to the forum

1 Like

I’ll try to make this very basic. Since your on a Carrier based phone it has to be Unlocked.

1.unlock developer mode in phone by pressing baseband version in settings 7 times.
2.Enter developer mode settings and check if you can OEM unlock the device. if it is greyed out you will need to request a unlock code from T-Mobile.
3. OEM unlock in fastboot mode (Deletes everything on your phone)
4. Install TWRP (PHONE SPECIFIC AND ANDROID VERSION SPECIFIC) if available
5. Install Magisk using TWRP then reboot and enjoy!

STOP here if all you want is Root access. Otherwise if you want to install a custom ROM then continue.

1. Find and download a Custom Rom (SPECIFIC TO YOUR DEVICE) you cant install other phone roms on your phone and can cause HARD BRICK on your phone if you do.
  2. Use TWRP to flask ROM zip to system and Flash Magisk for Root Access
  3. Reboot and Enjoy!

AGAIN THIS IS VERY BASIC AND THERE ARE DETAILS YOU NEED TO FOLLOW TO NOT BRICK YOUR DEVICE.

It’s not hard once you’ve done it a couple times.

1 Like