How to Unlock Bootloader on Pixel 4a!

In this tutorial, we show you how to unlock the bootloader on the Pixel 4a.

Note: THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING on your phone! Backup everything before preceding!!!

Step 1. Go to Settings->About phone. Scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” 5 times until it says, “You have enabled Developer options”.

Step 2. Tap the back button to go back to main Settings menu then tap on System->Advanced->Developer options.

Step 3. Turn on OEM unlocking.

Step 4. Power off your phone. Then hold down Volume Down + Power keys to enter the fastboot mode and coonect your phone to your computer.

If using Windows, make sure drivers are installed correctly by going to Control Panel and look for “Android ADB” or “Android Debugging Interface” or something similar to it. If you don’t see it, install these drivers here:
https://download.highonandroid.com/file/Drivers/UniversalAdbDriverSetup.msi.html
howto-unlockbootloader-pixel4a

Step 5. Download fastboot.zip and unzip and you should get a folder called “fastboot”.
https://download.highonandroid.com/file/Tools/fastboot.zip.html

Step 6. Open a command prompt and type:

For Windows:
cd Downloads
cd fastboot
fastboot flashing unlock

For Linux:
cd Downloads
cd fastboot
chmod 755 *
sudo ./fastboot-linux flashing unlock
For Mac:
cd Downloads
cd fastboot
chmod 755 *
./fastboot-mac flashing unlock

Step 7. Go on your phone, use the Volume keys to select “Yes” to unlock the bootloader and press the Power button.

Video Tutorial:

2 Likes

Very nice max

2 Likes

I bought a supposedly “unlocked” Pixel 4a on eBay, and when I go to the Developer Options the OEM unlocking switch is greyed out, and the phone seems to be carrier-locked to Verizon. Do you have any tips on how to get around this?

2 Likes

you bought a “locked” verizon phone.

1 Like

Correct. And I am asking how to UNLOCK it.

2 Likes

You cannot unfortunately. If you want to root, you have to buy the right device first. All unlocked models support Verizon fully so next time never buy a Verizon phone.

2 Likes

He said he tried to buy an unlocked model they sent him a locked model they did that to me when I bought my lgg3 damn ebay

1 Like

Could he use android flash tool and flash Google’s unlocked firmware??

1 Like

I don’t think that will work with bootloader Verizon locked.

1 Like

It was worth asking lol

1 Like

True :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately blueswerks is correct, with the bootloader being locked it won’t accept a flash to a different firmware like that.

2 Likes

Well I’ll tell u it sounded real good​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Heck yeah it did! Lol

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like
1 Like

Lol

1 Like

Yes verizon sucks ass lmao

1 Like

It’s suck it wasn’t his fault ebay sent him a different model

1 Like

I would contact eBay for a refund with a “Not as Advertised” claim.

1 Like