How to Install TWRP on OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro!

Here’s how to install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro! You can install TWRP recovery if you want to install a custom ROM.

Step 1. You will need to unlock the bootloader first, follow my universal guide here:

Note: If you are using a carrier-branded OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro such as T-Mobile or Verizon, you will have to unlock the bootloader by getting unlocked code from your carrier, you can search on Google on how to do this. But next time, simply buy the unlocked model as it supports full 4G LTE/5G bands on T-Mobile or Verizon, you don’t gain ANYTHING by buying T-Mobile/Verizon models, you actually lose dual SIM capability and another process to unlock the bootloader.

You just need to unlock the bootloader, you do NOT need to follow the root guide as we are simply installing a custom ROM.

Step 2. You will need to flash TWRP recovery.

Download fastboot.zip:
https://download.highonandroid.com/file/Tools/fastboot.zip.html

Unzip fastboot.zip and you should find a new folder called “fastboot”.

Step 3. Download TWRP and userdata image for OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro:

Download TWRP for OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro:
https://download.highonandroid.com/file/TWRP/OnePlus8Plus/beta/twrp-3.4.0-2-instantnoodle-unified-mauronofrio.img.html

Step 4. Open a command prompt by typing “cmd” after pressing the Windows Start button.

cd Downloads
cd fastboot
fastboot flash recovery_a twrp-3.4.0-2-instantnoodle-unified-mauronofrio.img
fastboot flash recovery_b twrp-3.4.0-2-instantnoodle-unified-mauronofrio.img

Step 5. DO NOT REBOOT. Use the Volume keys to find “RECOVERY” then hit the power button.

Step 6. You should now see TWRP recovery, then you have successfully installed TWRP for your OnePlus 8 or 8 Plus!

Video tutorial:

2 Likes

have you found a way to root 10.5.13 version? or do i have to downgrade to 10.5.4 then use magisk and go from there? cause magisk manager does not allow me to install boot image on 10.5.13

2 Likes

I can try to downgrade to 10.5.4 using op8 flashtool then try boot.ing in fastboot but make sure using the latest firmware+modem file,also make sure I have all permissions working on pc + mobile

2 Likes

Oh well after installing twrp then reboot to bootloader it says QUALCOMM CrashDump Mode wtf?

1 Like

Do you have a carrier model perhaps? T-Mobile or Verizon? You can unbrick it easily.

1 Like

nopre im on the global version. in2023

1 Like

Any fix for this? when i reboot my device i can still use my phone. but when i go to recovery it ends on a CrashDump Mode

1 Like

did you try flash to both slot a and b? sorry I gotta know exactly what you did.

1 Like

yes i did your tutorial step by step. it doesnt give me errors on both a and b. after installing on both a and b and restarted to recovery i got the crashdump mode error.

1 Like

Are you on Android 10? Not sure why that would happen…

1 Like

nope im on the beta 11 android

2 Likes

oh well i need to reset and restore my phone to factory settings so i wont have any problems. i will just undo all the steps unlocking bootloader, rooting and installing twrp. thanks

2 Likes

oh that is why, TWRP isn’t compatible with Android 11 yet since it isn’t out yet.

You cannot install ROMs on Android 11 anyways, you will want to revert back to Android 10 before installing them.

3 Likes

Ola.

É compatível com 7t?

2 Likes

Ola como estas?

1 Like

Estou bem e você ?!

2 Likes

China bien canton! Salucita!

1 Like

Is there available twrp for android 11?

3 Likes

Not yet

3 Likes

I take it my Qualcomm crash dump error means this not going to work. Android 11. At least I was able to fully root, this morning, using your tut.! THANKS!!

1 Like