Having issues installing twrp

I was gonna use the auto gsi for my sister’s pixel 3a, but first needed to install twrp. It wasn’t working, it when I did fastboot boot twrp.img it would all look good on the terminal, and say “booting” but nothing happened on the phone. I waited a while.

So I tried installing magisk first, by flashing a patched image, but it won’t boot at all anymore. I tried to flash the stock boot, it fails and says insufficient storage or something like that. I’m at work right now so I don’t remember exactly but I think I messed up the boot partition and now it thinks the partition is null so no space.

1 Like

You may have to revert to Android 9. You can boot TWRP, “fastboot boot twrp.img” then flash the img from there. With my Pixel 3a XL experience, TWRP was not ready to use with Android 10 or 11. Also, Fastboot has Android 10 & 11 issues. If you aren’t, please use this Fastboot https://download.highonandroid.com/file/Tools/fastboot.zip.html
It helped me :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I was on 10, and saw it had issues with twrp, so I downgraded to 9. Didn’t help. I’ll try that fastboot zip though thank you.

1 Like

I know this is probably an obvious question, but you have unlocked the bootloader before trying to boot TWRP, correct? I have seen it completely slip people’s mind even if they know they’re supposed to unlock it first. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Haha yes I did. Thanks for asking though.

2 Likes

No problem at all. I always start with the very first step when trying to help someone. Haha
Now when it comes to using the Auto GSI installer, you shouldn’t need TWRP at all. As long as the phone has “fastbootd” then you’re good to go, and that 3a should most definitely have it. The Auto installer’s .bat file will do everything for you without having to use TWRP.

2 Likes

For Android 10 or 11, it is best to use fastboot to boot twrp. They are still working out the kinks. On Pixel 4 Android 11 TWRP doesn’t work at all for installing ROMs yet, very buggy as hell.

4 Likes

Alright, finally got to this. I was gonna try using the Auto installer but the video says I need to be on android 10.

Also, I figured out why I couldn’t reinstall android 9… I wasn’t doing it right. Instead of just running the flash-all.bat file, I needed to extract the contents of the factory zip inside the fastboot/adb folder. So now I’m back on android 9. I’m gonna upgrade to 10 and then try the installer bat.

2 Likes

Yay! It’s working! I upgraded to 10, and ran the installer and it worked great! Thank you so much for making this!

Now I need to figure out how to get gapps and magisk without twrp…

2 Likes

You should still be able to boot TWRP and install Gapps.

Just do:

fastboot boot twrp.img

1 Like

Alright so turned out I had a corrupted twrp image file… Now it boots in twrp. But can’t mount data or system… wth? Maybe I need an older version of twrp? And I shouldn’t try to install twrp right?

1 Like

Do you have this one? https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3a.html
Just a thought.

1 Like

Yeah, sure do. Sorry for the late reply, I’m swamped with work rn… Haven’t had the time to work on the phone.

2 Likes

Try using different TWRP versions. With Android 10 and 11 sometimes you have to use latest or even older v3.3.0.0 to get it working correctly. Not everything on twrp.me works 100% so that’s probably why.

2 Likes

Different versions so true. Thought I should upgrade to 3.4.0-0, but ended up going back to 3.3.0-0 to make things boot. 3.4.0-0 gave me a blank/black screen :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah things are broken like resizing filesystem on couple devices with Twrp 3.4. Not recommended much yet, more like beta.

2 Likes

I see! Thanks, I’ll try that

2 Likes

Welp, I tried twrp 3.3.1-1, then 3.3.1-0, both booted but again failed to mount /data and /system. Now I’m trying to find an older version of twrp for the 3a, the website only goes back to 3.3.1-0.

Wait, 3.3.1-0 is the initial release.

Just curious… when you open one of the image files for the 3a, do you also get an error saying the file is corrupted? I’m getting the error on image files for my OP7pro too, so I think it may just be an issue with my laptop.

OK I tried another couple computers and same error. So not my laptop, and the 7pro files are good so I don’t think I have corrupted 3a files.

2 Likes

I’ve had that issue of not mounting /data and /system on a Pixel 2 and 2 XL with TWRP 3.3.1-0 on both. I just flashed the stock boot.img with fastboot. Then did the process of temp booting TWRP and then installing it and all was good after that. A couple of Pixels are the only devices I’ve had this particular issue with.

2 Likes

I see, I’ll try that tonight, thanks. You actually installed twrp? I thought that wasn’t recommended.
Also, where did you get the stock boot image? Is that the same as what you get from the Google website?
(https://developers.google.com/android/images#sargo)

1 Like