Factory/OTA from 8.1 to 10

Pixel XL v.1 Verizon model, unlocked bootloader (when you could still do it in 2018), Magisk rooted, TWRP 3.3.0-0, Factory/OTA 8.1 loaded from within TWRP.

Have been asked to upgrade to Factory/OTA 10 without losing unlocked & root status and keep all apps/data, just upgrade the OS. This has previously been done from 8.1 to 9.0 from within TWRP and back to 8.1, no problem.

Is Factory/OTA 10 different? Would I simply download TWRP 3.4 and Factory/OTA 10 to the Pixel XL, reboot to TWRP, install new TWRP from within current TWRP, reboot to new TWRP and install factory/OTA 10? Need to upgrade to 9.0 first?

I have tried a complete backup from within TWRP, but it hangs at the very end and does not complete. I have read that it is an issue with Pixel XL.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Yes OTA should be fine, that’s what it’s for. Not sure if you have to upgrade to 8.1 first. Just make backup beforehand just in case.

1 Like

Thanks very much :slightly_smiling_face: :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Just an update. This Verizon Pixel XL 1st gen had been bootloader unlocked and rooted back when it was still possible. Somehow, it would display OTA upgrades available for Android 8.1. Of course, Google indicated Android 10 was ready to download and install. Automatic system updates was disabled in the Developer options. I was going download and install from inside TWRP 3.3.0-0, but when doing app updates, someone tapped the OTA install and rebooted.

After the reboot, it retained the unlocked bootloader and root :upside_down_face:

Not the way I would recommend to accomplish this task.

2 Likes

Still nice though good job :grin::grin:

1 Like

Thank you:)

1 Like

BTW, I did find the video I was looking for with great instructions, of course :grinning:

Yeeeee​:grin::grin::grin::grin:

1 Like