Convert T-Mobile OnePlus 8 to International firmware

Hey Max, if you don’t mind, you can put this guide for people to convert their T-Mobile OnePlus 8 to international firmware.

Make sure you have DRIVERS installed! Both ADB and OnePlus.

Current Qualcomm Drivers just in case you can’t convert.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/...e309e6259d.cab

You can use the Universal adb drivers from Max here on HighonAndroid!

1. Get your Sim Unlocked through T-Mobile then proceed to get unlock token from OnePlus (request takes 7 days to be emailed to you), then unlock bootloader using Fastboot oem unlock.

OR use “TOOL ALL IN ONE” to flash the token under 5 seconds.

THERE IS A GUY ON XDA WHO DOES FREE T-MOBILE SIM UNLOCKING SINCE THE T-MOBILE ONEPLUS 7 PRO (@mobbdeep), BUT CURRENTLY CLOSED HIS PRIVATE MESSAGE BUTTON DUE TO TONS OF REQUESTS.

ONCE YOU RECEIVE YOUR UNLOCK TOKEN, CHANGE THE NAME OF THE FILE FROM “unlock_code.bin” to “unlock_token.bin”

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lTswZxd4KYspp3d9JRVF0DLSg7Pr-UVQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Steps to Unlock Bootloader BEFORE converting!!! Can also follow these same steps to re lock bootloader.

Link to OnePlus to request Unlock Token.

Unlocking method Method #1: Power off your phone completely! Connect phone to pc, and enable Developer options and turn on OEM Unlocking, USB DEBUGGING. Select TRANSFER FILES in “Android USB Configuration” dialog box after enabling USB DEBUGGING.

Put phone in fastboot mode (Bootloader): Press and hold the Volume Up’, ‘Volume Down’, and ‘Power’ keys together to enter Fastboot Mode.

Open Command Prompt (CMD) on a Windows computer and type these commands:

fastboot flash cust-unlock <unlock_token.bin>
Code:
fastboot oem unlock

and now your bootloader is unlocked.

Unlocking Method #2: ONLY IF YOU USE “TOOL ALL IN ONE”

In order:

1. Put phone in Fastboot mode (Bootloader)

2. Download and Install the “TOOL ALL IN ONE” program on your computer.

3. Click UNLOCK.

4. Click BRANDED DEVICE

5. Click CHECK

6. CLICK the Three … (DOTS) and select the Unlock Token from your computer wherever you put it.

7. Then installation proceeds.

8. Grab any of the firmware from XDA under ONEPLUS 8 folder then download to your PC and EXTRACT.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fastbootroms/files/OnePlus%208/

NO NEEED TO BACK UP FINGERPRINT PERSIST IMAGE!

1. Open the folder “10.5.12” FOR EXAMPLE

2. Double-Click FLASH ALL, and when it says Wipe, type Y and let it RUN. Process takes around 10 minutes. Phone will reboot few times during the process.

IF you want to re lock the bootloader while on International firmware (Global), take the latest OTA update which is Oxygen OS 11, while on 10.5.12 Fastboot ROM.

Once downloaded and Installed, lock the bootloader either when it’s booting up or after. By going in

to Fastboot mode and activating the re lock.

Video if you’re stuck:

Hope this helps.

Here is also the link to XDA for the MSM
DOWNLOAD TOOL in case your T-Mobile OnePlus 8 gets BRICKED or if you WANT to go BACK to stock.

This is the password to get the file. There are 3 versions of T-Mobile stock Oxygen OS firmware which is why there’s a password to access.

Password: N3v3r S3ttl3 tm

I recommend T-Mobile software version: 10.5.7!!!

ON THE FIRST PAGE !!

4 Likes

Nice tutorial. I would probably add in there how to back up the Fingerprint persist.img for the ones that don’t know how. You can copy and paste this in there somewhere if you’d like, and add whatever else you think it might need.

How to back up Fingerprint persist.img
Connect your phone to your computer and have USB debugging turned on. Now follow the steps below.

1. In ADB type this command: adb shell
  2. Now type this command: su
  3. It should now pop up on the phone to allow adb shell root access.
  4. Type this command: dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img
  5. You now have a backup of your persist.img in your phone’s storage. You need to copy it somewhere safe like on your computer.
1 Like

international phones from my understanding have and require different hardware in them.

They all have the same actual hardware like the Snapdragon 865 and X55 Dual Mode modem. The only real difference is the different LTE and 5G bands they are configured with through software.

1 Like

Nice job

1 Like

Thanks for the help!

They are different due to different bands. International which is Global like what OnePlus sells on their website or through Amazon in the US or Canada, are already unlocked for any carrier in the US (At&t, T-Mobile, & Verizon). Also unlike the T-Mobile or Verizon branded models, there is no bloatware and you can change the firmware via LOCAL UPGRADE which is available in the settings menu. The international models will also NOT show the T-Mobile Pink boot up screen, instead just the Oxygen OS boot animation, same thing when you convert T-Mobile OnePlus 8 to International model.

They also get updates immediately directly from OnePlus where the carrier branded models (T-Mobile and Verizon), you HAVE to wait for the carrier to roll them out which could take months.

Or can use the OXYGEN OS UPDATER APP to download and install the newest software update or even downgrade. BETA verisons as well.

INTERNATIONAL ONEPLUS 8 OR CONVERTED T-MOBILE ONLY!

This tutorial will ONLY work for T-Mobile OnePlus 8 because the bootloader is unlockable. Verizon is COMPLETELY LOCKED. There’s no workaround.

HOPEFULLY this method ALSO works when XDA comes out with the FASTBOOT ROMS for OnePlus 8T (T-Mobile Edition).

There’s a user at XDA named “Whoareyou” that apparently has a method to unlock the bootloader on the Verizon variant of the OnePlus 8. They won’t post the method publicly though. There’s others confirming that he’s able to do it. It might be worth looking into. I would but I don’t have that device.

1 Like

Yeah I heard of him. I used to be on his telegram group chat. He and his friends like to hide certain tweaks for OnePlus phones. They literally made an MSM DOWNLOAD TOOL to convert T-Mobile OnePlus 8 models, but they don’t want to make it public. The first time I converted my T-Mobile OnePlus 8 to international firmware, he gave me a fake ROM that bricked my phone. Good thing there was already T-Mobile MSM Download Tool to go back to stock.

1 Like

Ah man, that’s messed up! People have said if you PM him he’ll tell you how to unlock it, and they’ve confirmed it works. But I don’t know if I’d trust it after what you’ve said. Lol
I know our Dev team there, and the members here would NEVER do something like that! Our goal is supposed to be helping whoever needs it.

1 Like

@Zedomax A developer in my Telegram group chat on OnePlus 8 series unveiled that he found a way for to

unlock the bootloader of all OnePlus 8 series including T-Mobile AND Verizon models without needing a SIM unlock.

2 Likes

Cool

1 Like

How do you actually restore fingerprint after backing it up and putting it in the root directory (internal storage) of your OnePlus 8/8 Pro?

2 Likes

I am able to follow all the steps. But when I click the Flash All the phone, The phone goes into the 3 language menu and the command shell shows waiting for any device. i did download the oneplus, qualcomm and adb drivers… did I miss anything else?

2 Likes

Did u download op drivers?? Depending which windows version u have u may need them

1 Like

Yup, I figured it out, seems like the latest windows update messed with the adb drivers. reinstalling them did make the conversion work for me.

2 Likes

Great good job

1 Like

is SIM unlock absolutely required? what would happen if it wasn’t sim unlocked? i got the phone 4 days ago and am not sure if i want to keep it due to the t-mobile bloat. If i can do this without sim unlock and no real issues i’ll do it. just in a debate with myself if i should return or not. I really appreciate everything.

2 Likes

If it’s payed for I think they have a unlocking app

1 Like

i got my tmobile OP8 sim unlocked today, and started to follow OnePlus’ instructions to get an unlock code.

so far, my command prompt is saying that it’s waiting for any device.

i can’t get past this. i have installed the oneplus drivers, i also downloaded drivers from Tool All in One, and i couldn’t get the Qualcomm drivers from the link above, but i did a google and downloaded what i found. See the picture of what i have:

what am i missing? thanks!

1 Like