Android USB driver issues

Hi,

I’ve been trying to root my old OnePlus 5T with the help of the YT tutorial (How to Root OnePlus 5T! [Windows/Mac/Linux][Android 8.0/8.1 Oreo] - YouTube).

At about 6:10 in the tutorial I’m told to look for the 'usb_driver", but it’s nowhere to be found.
I’ve downloaded it from the website because I’m on a Windows laptop but I don’t get it as a folder or zip folder, just as an installer named “UniversalAdbDriverSetup”.
Therefore I can’t select it when trying to update the usb drivers.

I have no clue what to do to get it right, so please help.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Have you installed ADB and Fastboot on your computer yet?

1 Like

I’ve been following the tutorial step by step, so I hadn’t done anything yet apart from the bootloader on the phone.
I just installed the “UniversalAdbDriveSetup” to see if that did something but I can’t find it anywhere on my computer. When trying to open the fastbooter or abd setup files from the other unzipped directory nothing happens either.

I’ve never rooted a phone before, but I didn’t expect it to cause as much troubles as I’m having now, without even getting to the actual rooting.

I’ll check out the tutorial you’re using. It sounds kind of weird for it to say look for the USB driver. If the computer recognized the phone and you were able to unlock the bootloader, then the driver is installed.

Oh okay, it’s Max’s tutorial so all the info should be correct in there. I’m still going to see what he says do.

I need the driver because the computer doesn’t recognize the phone.

It doesn’t look like all the files are on the site anymore that you need. You could try this and you should be able to get it.

Ok so, I’m following these steps now and in the cmd it doesn’t recognize my phone either.
My computer does recognize the phone is hooked up now, but it doesn’t show with the “fastboot devices” in cmd, although it’s connected and in fastboot mode.

1 Like

You do have USB debugging turned on in Developer options, correct?

1 Like

Also, try “adb devices” instead of “fastboot devices” and see if it shows your phone connected.

1 Like

Turns out I’m just an idiot, connector wasn’t fully in the phone LOL

Thanks for the help, I’ll see how far I get this time!

1 Like

Haha… we all make mistakes, especially when doing nerve-racking things.
And no problem bud. If you have more issues just let us know and one of us will try to help you out.

Lol shit happens

I do stuff like that still after all these years​:rofl::rofl::rofl: