ADB and Fastboot 101

With new versions of Android getting harder and harder for TeamWin to get TWRP working correctly, you might find yourself needing to use Fastboot more. But a lot of people don’t know where to even start when trying to use ADB commands. So I’m going to try and help you guys out a little. I’m linking the Minimal ADB and Fastboot I use and it tells you exactly how to install it step by step. In step 8 you have the option to create a desktop shortcut. I highly recommend doing so for easy access.
Here is the link:

Now I’ll give a quick rundown on how to use it. After you have everything installed and you’re ready to try it out, you need to get your phone ready to use it. First go to your phone’s settings and activate “Developer options” if you haven’t already. On most Android phones you go to Settings/About Phone. Find “Build number” and keep tapping it until it says you are now a developer. Now go back into Settings and go to System/Advanced/Developer options. Turn on “USB debugging” if it’s not already on. That is for most phones, especially Android 10 and up.
Alright, not you’re ready to connect your phone to the computer with ADB installed on it. Boot your phone into Fastboot/Download mode. To do this you can either use the button combo of you phone’s manufactuer, or you can do it by running the ABD command. To do this open the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder. Once in the folder hit Shift and right click at the same time. You’re going to select “Open PowerShell window here” or “Open command prompt” (whichever option your computer shows)
Now it’s time for some commands. The first command is “adb devices” This will determine if your device is recognized. If it is now type “adb reboot bootloader” and this is where you’ll run other commands.
Alright, I’m going to list some of the basic ones that you might use at some point. You can also get all of the commands from within ADB itself. Note: Don’t forget, if you’re using PowerShell you’ll have to type .\ in front of most commands. For instance, if the command “abd devices” will not work, you’re going to want to type “.\adb devices” (without the quotation marks)
These are probably the most commonly used commands:
ADB Basic Commands

1. adb help (lists all adb commands)
  2. adb devices (shows all connected Fastboot devices)
  3. adb devices -l (shows connected devices and the model of them as well)
  4. adb start-server (starts adb daemon/server)
  5. adb kill-server (kills the adb daemon/server)

ADB Device Commands

1. adb reboot (reboots phone)
  2. adb reboot recovery (boots phone to recovery)
  3. adb reboot bootloader or adb reboot fastboot (reboots the phone back to the bootloader)
  4. fastboot oem unlock (unlocks the bootloader but some phones require a code from the manufacturer to unlock it)
  5. fastboot flash recovery (after typing that, drag the file from where you stored/downloaded it)
  6. adb backup -apk -all -f backup.ab (backs up your settings and apps)
  7. adb backup -shared -all -f backup.ab (backs up your settings, apps and shared storage)
  8. adb backup -apk -nonsystem -all -f backup.ab (backs up only nonsystem apps)
  9. adb restore backup (restores backups you’ve made)

Another thing to remember, if you ever have an issue with a command not working, double check your spelling. Something that simple will cause a command to fail.
Alrighty, that’s the gist of ADB and Fastboot and how to use it. If you need any help don’t hesitate to ask. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes